“Privacy is the right to be left alone.”
– Justice Felix Frankfurter
One Law Advocates values your privacy and cares about the way in which your personal information is treated.
What personal information we collect about you
We may collect personal information from you in the course of our services, including through your use of our website, when you contact or request information from us, when you engage our legal or other services or as a result of your relationship with one or more of our staff.
The personal information that we process includes:
- Basic information, such as your name (including name prefix or title), the company you work for, your title or position and your relationship to a person.
- Contact information, such as your postal address, email address and phone number(s).
- Financial information, such as payment-related information.
- Technical information, such as information from your visits to our website or applications or in relation to materials and communications we send to you electronically.
- Information you provide to us for the purposes of attending meetings and events.
- Identification and background information provided by you or collected as part of our services acceptance processes.
- Personal information provided to us by or on behalf of our clients or generated by us in the course or providing services to them, which may include special categories of data.
- Any other information relating to you which you may provide to us.
How we obtain your personal information
- We collect information from you as part of our business acceptance processes and about you and others as necessary in the course of providing legal services.
- We collect your personal information while monitoring our technology tools and services, including our websites and email communications sent to and from One Law Advocates
- We gather information about you when you provide it to us, or interact with us directly, for instance engaging with our staff or registering on one of our digital platforms or applications.
- We may collect or receive information about you from other sources, such as keeping the contact details we already hold for you accurate and up to date using publically available sources
How we use your personal information
One Law Advocates collects and processes personal information about you in a number of ways, including through your use of our website and in the provision of services by us. We use that information:
- To provide and improve this website, including auditing and monitoring its use.
- To provide and improve our services to you, including handling the personal information of others on behalf of our clients.
- To provide information requested by you.
- To manage and administer our relationship with you.
- To fulfill our legal, regulatory and risk management obligations, including establishing, exercising or defending legal claims.
- For the purposes of recruitment.
Use of One Law Advocates website
A number of facilities on our website invite you to provide us with personal information, such as the internship application in the ‘Work with Us’ section of our website and the Request Call-Back in the ‘Get in Touch’ section. The purpose of these facilities is apparent at the point that you provide your personal information and we only use that information for those purposes.
We use personal information to understand whether you read the emails and other materials, such as legal publications, that we put up on our website, click on the links to the information that we include in them and whether and how you visit our website after you click ‘Enter Website’. We do this by using software that places a cookie on your device which tracks this activity and records it against your email address. Please see our cookies policy for more information on cookies and how to manage and remove them.
We may also use a relationship management tool, where permitted by applicable local law, to assess the strength of the relationship between individuals in One Law Advocates and our clients or potential clients based on the frequency of email contact between them. We use that information in order to assess, analyse and improve the services that we provide.
Meetings, events and seminars
We will collect and process personal information about you in relation to your attendance at our offices or at an event or seminar organised by One Law Advocates or its business partners. We will only process and use special categories of personal information about your access requirements in order to cater for your needs and to meet any other legal or regulatory obligations we may have. We may share your information with IT and other service providers or business partners involved in organising or hosting the relevant event.
Legal and other services
We collect, create, hold and use personal information in the course of and in connection with the services we provide to our clients. We will process identification and background information as part of our services acceptance, finance, administration, including anti-money laundering, conflict, reputational and financial checks. We will also process personal information provided to us by or on behalf of our clients for the purposes of the work we do for them. The information may be disclosed to third parties to the extent reasonably necessary in connection with that work.
On what basis we use your personal information
We use your personal information on the following basis:
1. To perform a contract, such as engaging with an individual to provide legal or other services.
2. For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims or proceedings.
3. To comply with legal and regulatory obligations.
4. For legitimate business purposes.
How long we keep your personal information
Your personal information will be retained in accordance with our global data retention policy which categorises all of the information held by One Law Advocates and specifies the appropriate retention period for each category of data. Those periods are based on the requirements of applicable data protection laws and the purpose for which the information is collected and used, taking into account legal and regulatory requirements to retain the information for a minimum period, limitation periods for taking legal action, good practice and One Law Advocates’ business purposes.
Who we share your personal information with
Any information that you provide to us may be shared with and processed by any entity in the worldwide network of One Law Advocates and our associated firms.
We may also share your personal information with certain trusted third parties in accordance with contractual arrangements in place with them, including:
- Our professional advisers and auditors.
- Suppliers to whom we outsource certain support services such as word processing, translation, photocopying and document review.
- IT service providers to One Law Advocates.
- Third parties engaged in the course of the services we provide to clients and with their prior consent, such as barristers, local counsel and technology service providers like data room and case management services.
- Third parties involved in hosting or organising events or seminars.
Where necessary, or for the reasons set out in this policy, personal information may also be shared with regulatory authorities, courts, tribunals, government agencies and law enforcement agencies. While it is unlikely, we may be required to disclose your information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements. We will use reasonable endeavours to notify you before we do this, unless we are legally restricted from doing so.
If in the future we re-organize or transfer all or part of our business, we may need to transfer your information to new One Law Advocates entities or to third parties through which the business of One Law Advocates will be carried out.
We do not sell, rent or otherwise make personal information commercially available to any third party, except with your prior permission.
How we protect your personal information
We use a variety of technical and organizational measures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction consistent with applicable data protection laws.
Which countries we transfer your personal information to
Your rights regarding your personal information
You are entitled to request details of the information we hold about you and how we process it. You may also have a right in accordance with applicable data protection laws to have it rectified or deleted, to restrict our processing of that information, to stop unauthorised transfers of your personal information to a third party and, in some circumstances, to have personal information relating to you transferred to another organisation.
If you object to the processing of your personal information, or if you have provided your consent to processing and you later choose to withdraw it, we will respect that choice in accordance with our legal obligations. Your objection (or withdrawal of any previously given consent) could mean that we are unable to perform the actions necessary to achieve the purposes set out above or that you may not be able to make use of the services and products offered by us. Please note that even after you have chosen to withdraw your consent we may be able to continue to process your personal information to the extent required or otherwise permitted by law, in particular in connection with exercising and defending our legal rights or meeting our legal and regulatory obligations.
We must ensure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. Therefore, please advise us of any changes to your information by email to email@example.com.
One Law Advocates refers to One Law Advocates litigation firm, its subsidiaries and other partnerships, corporations, undertakings and entities which are authorised to practice using the name ‘One Law Advocates’.